About BEH > Sustainability
Sustainability Policy Statement
Beery Elsner & Hammond, LLP is committed to serving our local government clients and the communities they represent across Oregon. This commitment extends to including consideration of environmental sustainability and our business impacts upon the environment. To that end, we continually strive to achieve environmental and social sustainability in our daily work life and business practices.
As with our legal practice, we are diligent stewards of resources. We make sustainability a part of our criteria in making business decisions for purchases of supplies, equipment and services. Some of our go green efforts include:
- Recycling — We provide refuse recycle bins for paper, food containers and food particles. We recycle printer cartridges and batteries appropriately.
- Paper consumption — Although not paper-free, we are paper-light. We have implemented an electronic document management system to decrease our reliance on paper files. We use email and double sided copying where practical.
- Electronic equipment and furniture — We donate everything we can for reuse and recycling.
- Purchasing — We buy office supplies, such as paper and binders, made of recycled materials.
- Water — We provide employees and clients filtered water instead of bottled water. We purchase Bonneville Environmental Water Restoration Certificates to mitigate environmental impacts on our water use.
- Energy-saving equipment — We purchase new equipment with energy star-ratings.
- Energy conservation — We power down when not using computer equipment. We have renovated our office lighting to reduce energy consumption.
- BEF — We help reduce our carbon footprint by purchasing Bonneville Environmental Foundation Renewable Energy Certificates to offset our power usage.
- Transportation — We encourage the use of public transportation by subsidizing employee Tri-Met passes. Our employees walk and bike to work. We carpool to offsite meetings and ride transit whenever possible.
- Education — We educate our employees about how to apply sustainability practices at the office and the home.
- Philanthropy — We have a charitable giving program that emphasizes environmental and social justice causes and matches employee donations.
Our commitment to going green reflects our respect and gratitude for the natural world we live in and the communities we serve.